Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Senses Alert


My senses are overwhelmed!  What better way to start the day then to head out into the bush veld in dawn’s early morning light while a gentle breeze carries the scent of flora and fauna, and a promise of the great safari to come. In a few moments time, our vehicle is surrounded by the over 800 cape buffalo that a few of us in camp had the pleasure of hearing throughout the night. I'm sure they are just as amused to have their morning interrupted by the endless clicking of shutter buttons as we were to have had our sleep interrupted and our senses assaulted by grunting sounds and the acrid smell of cow dung. Giraffe, impala, kudu, cape buffalo, elephants, rhinoceros, zebra, monkeys, bush babies, warthogs, leopard, wild dog ....I fear I may become cross eyed from looking every which way. One can’t resist the giddiness that inevitably follows a sighting. I am in my happy place – perhaps, like Peter Pan, this will help me fly!?