Monday, October 1, 2012

A Long Haul Flight Into The Night


People watching is a wonderful way to pass the time in any of the world’s airports. It begs to wonder where are people going, who are they meeting, what is their story. I wager there are many sad, wonderful and thrilling tales to be heard. Once seated on the airplane, your fellow passengers become your fellow travellers, confidants, friends, etc. all with a common goal - arriving safely at a final destination. It is amazing how much we are willing to tell, how much of our life story we are willing to share with a perfect stranger or in my experience, to the person luckily or unluckily seated beside me. Having travelled as much as I have and having exchanged dialogues with many fellow passengers, I could either have written a book by now or acquired a degree in psychology, and in some rare cases, could have gone to the loony house. Even with the endless chatter, announcement interruptions, food service, drink service, pee breaks, etc., I still find time for quiet contemplation gazing out at the endless sky to the point of imagining myself floating through the cumulus clouds. Flying still holds endless wonder for me whether we’re soaring through a lightning storm, parallel to a full moon, having the cabin filled with a new day’s morning rays, or being dazzled by a brilliant array of city lights announcing our final destination. 20hrs of flight time, 8hrs of layovers, thousands of kilometres travelled, I have arrived safely in Africa.