Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bush Solitude...So To Speak

Another semester has come to an end. Although exhausted to the core of my being, I am also very proud of my accomplishments thus far.  A few of those to highlights included my first ele approach as driver (a beautiful, relaxed bull), as well as 10 sec timing (cut-off is 15 sec), blind folded rifle loading and cocking exercise during a dry rifle run. The latter is a run-up to my rifle assessment in 5 week’s time. Needless to say, I still have much to learn about the African bush and feel I may never fully understand all of her mysteries. I am, however, as much in love with Africa as I ever was, even if at times, I am frustrated at my inexperience.

This week saw many rivers wash away fencing, damage roads and bridges, widen drainage lines and dams, and even make town inaccessible for a time. With an accumulated 283mm of rain in two days and more forecasted for the week ahead, it was a blessing to be able to leave campus and head on off days.
I am currently based in a small and intimate safari camp, away from all the bustle and hurries of the world. In fact, I have the entire camp to myself for the remainder of my time here. It is a small luxury when continuously surrounded by students on our bush campus. There are no queues for the showers, the excellent cuisine is of my own making and my very spacious room is mine alone.  

Apart from the human solitude, this little camp is inhabited by a variety of small creatures such as the Dwarf Day Geckos, Striped Skinks and Bushveld Lizards that bound across the beams in the open air, boma style kitchen. The sandy area between my room and boma, is a veritable “tableau” of tracks of my most recent night visitors including Kudu (large antelope), Leopard and Vervet monkeys. The loo and outdoor shower stall are no exception when it comes to nature’s subtle signs. A Western Olive Toad has wedged itself in the crook of a cut tree branch, an arm’s length away from my toilet, while a Golden Orb-Web spider has made itself a grand home above the shower head. Nature finds a niche even in the oddest places.

There is a constant cacophony in the bush. In fact, my first morning lie in, I awoke to the calls of the Woodland Kingfisher, the Burchell’s Coucal (which can only signify rain on the horizon) and a host of other sunrise greeters. At the height of the noon day sun, the air thick with humidity, the bush quietens, if only a little. As I’ve stated before, Africa delivers a pleasant assault to the senses. Ironically, as I typed away on my laptop, I was made more aware of my surroundings by the incessant alarm calls of the tree squirrels, the snapping of twigs in the underbrush, and will admit to being briefly startled when a Grey Headed Bush Shrike (bird) landed at my feet to feast on its captured grasshopper. An explorer at heart I may be, but I have also gained a healthy respect for the African bush.  


Part of exploring is knowing when to call it a day. My end of day adventure included a hop, skip and a jump across the seasonal river to a game hide where giraffe, zebra, impala, warthog, and francolin wandered across my field of vision heading to the area waterhole. What a feeling to gaze on wildlife whilst they are unaware of your presence. The day light dwindling, I finally pulled myself away from my reverie to make my way back to camp, stopping only to gaze at tracks along the river’s edge and collect a few more rock samples…after all, once an explorer, always an explorer.

PS as of writing this blog, my ipod took diving lessons in the wash, my head torch's parachute didn't deploy, therefore injuring it ever so slightly and my memory card through a tantrum meaning no photos due to the required formatting of said card.

No comments:

Post a Comment